Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Big Brother Gets A Bigger Room

Like with most promotions a new office is in order.  In our case the promotion to big brother means a bedroom upgrade.  My first project to tackle in nesting mode was to transform the guest room into a room for Leavitt.  Hopefully you enjoy mediocre before and after iPhone photos, because I have plenty of those for your viewing pleasure!

Our guest room has always been a simple space.  Equipped with the basics.  The most comfortable bed in the house, and a closet full of all things bedding and holiday decor.  Why my house doesn't have more closets I will never know because we built the house and have no one to blame but little old me.  I am giving myself another three years before I ever complain of this to my husband because he will for sure not be having any of my "lets add closets" nonsense.  The guest room was home to a chalk painting of my mom as a teenager on her horse Major.  I love the painting and had asked her when we moved into our house if I could have it and reframe it.  I'm so glad that I did, and while it will be finding a new home in my dining room, I loved it in this space.



All of our bedding is from Pottery Barn and a couple years old.  I love the similar ones I linked for you.  I also love that no matter when I decide to put together a guest space this bedding will still go with everything in our house.  



 Here you can see the bedding a little better and sneak a peek at the painting of my mom in this picture.  


There you have it the simplest little guest room, where some of our favorite out of towners have crashed.

It is no secret we have been spending most of our days at camp, and the smallest family member is a fan of all things camp.  Mostly fish, bears and grampy.  While I couldn't deliver on a Grampy for the new room, I am pretty sure he's given the rest of the room a thumbs up.  


|| Rug || Similar Throw || Similar Chair ||  Duvet  || Similar Lamp || Tree Blanket ||



I started the room with the black and white tree blanket that I found at Target and was using at camp. I wanted to use buffalo plaid because it works for all Maine seasons.  I love that it reminds us of camp in the summer and will be so sweet at Christmas time.  I didn't want the room to feel too childish, but the rug gave the room just enough child camp whimsy to make it feel like his.  He is obsessed with the rug, we opted for the 4' x 6' size and he crawls all over it telling me what all the animals are.  The bear rug on the bed was my husband's as a kid and apparently one of his favorite things to lay on while watching TV.  Leavitt thinks it is so funny, and I loved giving it a new life in his room.  


I found the clear chair at Hobby Lobby on sale and used a coupon.  So if you are in the market for a chair like that check your local Hobby Lobby first! The throw on the chair I had from our Christmas card photos last year, if you missed those you can see them here.  I also framed one of the photos from that shoot above his bed!  I found the throw at TJ Maxx last fall and loved it for the photos.  I have a certain affinity for Ralph Lauren home goods, so I am thrilled I finally found a place for it in the house.  I linked one from Target because as we all well know it can be near impossible to locate a good TJ's find months later.  The duvet I actually found on Overstock first when I was looking at the rug, but was able to get it at Target for less during their summer home sale.  I love the way it washes, I was pleasantly surprised how soft it is.  Of course I had to include a picture of Leavitt and I in his room from our latest pictures with Danielle.  My Mother in law found the bear lamp at Reny's after I had mentioned I was looking for one.  


The marquee chalkboard is from Pottery Barn and was a gift from my Mom.  She originally bought it as a Father's Day gift for my husband's man cave.  I snagged it for this project wanting to hang it over the TV outlets on the wall, where my mother's painting once hung.  However it is extremely heavy.  I decided against mounting it to the wall and set it on his dresser instead.  My Mom told me the folks at Pottery Barn used liquid chalk on the sign.  So far no amount of scrubbing has gotten it to come clean yet.  I am going to figure it out or use chalk paint to cover it and start over.  Eventually it will have my little man's monogram on it.  The sign is no longer available but you can find a smaller version here.  

I love this space so much! It suits my little camper and can only hope he will be camping in our room a whole lot less now that his room is complete!  A Mom can dream right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment