Monday, February 29, 2016

Best Friend Status


Back when I was a brand new mom I thought my easy breezy babe would be my best friend.  I quickly realized that he possessed a few traits that would prohibit BFF status.  He's demanding, he doesn't listen well, I get no privacy, and he's hit me.  For the record if we are friends and you take a swing at me I'm going to go all crazy backwoods Maine broad on you and it won't be a good look for either of us.  There is a power imbalance that makes toddlers not worthy of the BFF life.  

Then last Friday happened.  We got up. Leisurely puttered around the kitchen.  Agreed on what we were having for breakfast, and made it out the door sans drama.  First stop was Target.  We perused the dollar section, and picked up a few basics.  The Starbucks line was intimidatingly long so I opted to dole out a reese's in lieu of a cake pop and we hit the drive through Starbucks after.  





I took my iced Latte to the salon... he took his iced apple juice.  He sat through his haircut while sipping on his juice and humored me into thinking he enjoyed it.  We strolled back to the car and he zonked out on the way home.  He took a nice long nap and I got some house work in while watching my favorite shows on DVR.  




My adult friend who happens to have a new babe text to see if we wanted to have a last minute lunch at Margaritas... uh yes, yes we do.  I felt like I was pushing my luck in the awesome day department but decided to wing it anyways.  We chatted with our buds, ate chips and salsa until we didn't even care we had real food coming and at the end of the meal we walked hand in hand back to the car.  




That night we watched a movie and ate popcorn by the fireplace.  I gave him a long bath and we snuggled until he dozed off.  I was texting Nick's Aunt and told her that today was one of the best days I have ever had as a mom.  No drama. No fighting.  Just fun.  I felt totally in my element. 

Days like that remind me why I gave it all up to be a stay at home mom and why he really is my best friend.  It really is the simple things that make it all so rewarding.  I cried a little as I thanked God for my life that night, tears of gratitude, a simple day that made me feel like everything in the world was really alright.  It really is so humbling to get to call Leavitt my son.  He totally got the BFF memo, and totally nailed it last week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment