Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Dear Preston: Year One



Preston,

You are one.  I never thought I could love someone as much as I did your brother, and then you came and rocked my world with your light.  You have a gentle loving smile that reminds me so much of my dad.  I am blessed beyond measure with your perfect temperament.  I have yet to feel frustrated by you.  There is something extraordinary about your calmness and I cannot wait to see how this natural gift serves you in life.   Your easygoing nature has been the perfect compliment to your brother, and your dad and I could not love you more.  I adore your smile and your zest for life.  You cannot wait to keep up with your brother, and despite my reservations you already love to rough house with him.  I'm always so scared you will get hurt and then you emerge from under his pig pile with a smile ready for more.  Your fun loving side is only matched by your serene demeanor.  

In your first week of life you had attended church, been to my mommy group, dropped your brother off at school, and been my sidekick anywhere I went.  You hit the ground running with me and we haven't stopped since.  Now that you are ready to start running I can only imagine you will take off and not look back.  I hope you know I will always be standing there behind you cheering you on and shooting you a wink if you decide to look back.


Around three months we started going to the library while your brother was in school for the morning.  You loved looking at the other kids, singing the songs, and listening to stories.  You have a magnetic personality, people are drawn to you, and you always make their day by being happy to see them.  It is a gift not many have and I pray it stays with you, but something tells me it will.  Lately you have been showing signs of a temper, which has me feeling oddly proud.  You are a force to be reckoned with, and will not be pushed around.  A couple weeks ago while I made breakfast you found a stray fishing lure and hooked yourself with it.  While that is a story for another time, you shocked me with how high your pain tolerance is and I have more gray hair than ever. 


Your first word was "mumma" and I did a major celebratory dance inside that I could claim that!  You say "dada" a lot now too which has him pretty smitten.  I watch your dad look at you with so much pride in his eyes it makes me love him even more.  The way you look at him and crawl to the door to greet him is the sweetest thing, and I'm sure after a long day at work away from you that it is exactly what he needs.  That's the thing about you, while you need us, we are getting so much more from you.

I hope you can feel my love and prayers being poured into you every day.  The lord has trusted me with you and I can think of no greater calling than to raise you.  I know you are going to continue to bless our little family, and show us all the ways you will make us better.  You'll forever be this baby to me.  A husky little baby, ready to run, crazy for a hug, explorer of your world, and a sucker for a good nap.  

So incase you don't already know - you are so loved, treasured, and adored.  We could never repay you for the happiness you have brought our whole family, so I'm sure you will work on figuring out how to even the score as you inch towards two!  We love your Preston Frederick and can't wait to see how far you go in your next year!

All my love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment